One of the easiest ways to fluff up your social media calendar is to post on holidays. You can find specific holidays to promote a chamber member (like promoting your local bookstore on National Book Lovers Day), post a fun picture of your staff celebrating, or sharing a resource to help others learn about the issue. I also like to track job-related holidays as a reminder to reach out or recognize specific members.
Here’s some August holidays that I thought would be a good fit for chambers:
- 1st Tuesday – National Night Out
- Looking for a new community event? Consider hosting National Night Out to “promote strong police-community partnerships and neighborhood camaraderie”
- August 4 – National Coast Guard Day
- August 5 – Work Like a Dog Day
- Technically you’re supposed to celebrate by working hard, but I choose to take it as an excuse to dress your dog up.
- August 7 – Purple Heart Day
- 2nd Saturday – National Garage Sale Day
- Promote or host a community yard sale
- August 13 – Left-Handers Day
- An odd way to recognize any staff or volunteers that are left handed
- August 16 – National Tell a Joke Day
- What a great excuse for engagement bait! Caption your chosen image with “What’s your favorite joke?” and hopefully you’ll get more comments on your post.
- August 17 – National Nonprofit Day
- August 21 – Senior Citizens Day
- Share a list of chamber members that offer senior discounts or your favorite resources, like the local Council on Aging.
- August 26 – National Women’s Equality Day
- August 27 – National Just Because Day
- In case you need an excuse to reach out to your chamber members.
- Friday before Labor Day – National College Colors Day
- Have your office staff wear their favorite sports team and snap a photo.
- August 31 – National Matchmaker Day
- This is meant for romantic matchmakers, but what about Business matchmakers?!
Weeks & Month
- 1st Week – National Farmers Market Week
- August 19 – Sept. 5 – Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over
- This campaign happens through labor day, but you could also share other vacation or driving safety tips.
- National Wellness Month
- A great time to launch a chamber wellness program!
- Black Business Month
- National Back to School Month